Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dancing the niiiight away...


Dancing the niiiiight away... *cough*.... I mean Saturday mornings for the next six weeks.

As most of you know and are already sick of hearing it by now -- I am taking a FLAMENCO dance class for the next six weeks in Peoria, IL (about 50 minutes away). If you are unfamiliar with this particular genre, I would best define it as the elegant and more proper tap-dance of Spain. Okay, that definition does it zero justice! Check it out on YouTube... I am amazed at how each genre demands a different characteristic, a different challenge. With this particular dance, COORDINATION is the factor that flashes in my mind. For instance, today (merely week #2) we learned a 6-step intricate walk/spin combination, along with making the strong, circular movement of the arms and making the traditional Flamenco fingers (in-out-in-out) -- ALL AT ONCE. I made a FOOL out of myself today in class, but that's beside the point, now isn't it? It was grand entertainment... for my comrades.

Also, did I mention that I am taking a HIP-HOP class? Yes, this was last minute. I hadn't planned on it, but the word "regret" is not even close to becoming alive. Now this genre of dance demands a constant awareness of steps. Whereas in other genres you have a transition time or step into the next move, THERE IS NO SUCH THING as a moment to breathe within hip-hop. Boring is the last adjective to describe it. Whenever I was in Chile, I got to learn this for the first time ever (go figure, in South America). Every last Chilean came to ME for hip-hop moves... until they found out this this poor American had no such moves in her inventory. It was the funniest phenomena to see how they perceived that every American is an out-of-this-world professional with a little yo-yo-yo sass in the genre. Not such much... Even today, I still have a long way to go. Don't doubt the stick though!! :)

Needless to say, every Saturday my heart is happy, my feet are smiling and my knees are sore beyond reason. I know dancing has a time and a place -- but as Americans, we hardly dance, even in its right time and place!! I enjoy this art form. I am not perfect by any means. But, I am ready to learn! One of my absolute favorite sights is being in an Hispanic country and seeing a 70-year-old couple dancing the merengue with all their might, through all the night.

Bust out a move ever so often please. Just sayin'
Buenas Noches.

1 comment:

  1. This is your picture while you were dancing???

    So cute!

    Tourism Indochina

    ReplyDelete