Thursday, July 23, 2009

Landed


After my five flights to get here (St. Louis-Chicago-Toronto, Canada-New York-Chile), I have landed in Chile. ¡Qué lindo! The first thing that caught my eye were the Andes Mountains. As I stated on facebook, I cannot believe that I am here confronting them face-to-face, instead of merely labeling them on a geopgraphy test. The people here are very nice so far. You know that you are off to a good start when BOTH the airport personnel AND the people in the capital are patient and accommodating. Usually, those places are quite opposite.

Bullets?

  • We will be in the capital (Santiago) until Sunday afternoon. We just finished exploring parts of the city this afternoon. The food is bastante rica. Tomorrow we will be going downtown.
  • I can understand the Chilean accents (shall I say "so far" again?). It is very expressive and rhythmic. I already have five new words that I've learned today. Yes, I am keeping a journal of all the words. :)
  • Chilean winters mean WINTER. Four layers (including two sweaters), scarf, winter hat, and gloves. Just sayin'.
  • Have I mentioned that I am in love with the Andes?

Tune in next time to hear how Kerrie Isabel transforms into Chilean overnight...

4 comments:

  1. Get yo'self something warm to wear, little darling. There was no room anywhere in your luggage or on your body to put a coat from home.
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, isn't that the Texan flag? Just Kidding. I'm glad you are safe and grounded. I remember you calling me after your geography test and asking if it was indeed the Andes that are in Chile...I don't think you'll be forgetting that fact again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy Rimmel said to tell you that he is ENTIRELY JEALOUS of your seeing the Andes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I talked to Donna last night and as we were talking about your trip and the blog, she said that "KIDAROUND" would have been another great name. I had to agree. You get AROUND-ROUND-ROUND-ROUND, KID gets AROUND.
    luvyamore

    ReplyDelete