Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 5: Sugar! Give me sugar!

You are over halfway finished!  My congratulations!!!!!
Are you tired of cooking?  Or maybe all that clean up? It happens once in a while.  I always cook more than I need, so I can have leftovers the next day! 


As stated before, you are on your own for breakfast for the last four days.  The goal of this blog is not to make you dependent upon my recipes, but rather to give you fresh ideas and fresh inspiration to make more meals in your own kitchen, while helping develop a solid health conscience. 


So far, we've had raw veggies & sauteed veggies.  For lunch, let's have some broiled veggies> bell peppers (any variety), onion, cauliflower, tomatoes (even tho it's a fruit), broccoli, carrots, portabella mushrooms and any other veggies that sound good.  
>Set oven to "broil" setting.
>Cut veggies into large chunks. Big, uneven pieces are perrrrrfect for this technique.
>Toss everything in some grapeseed oil, making sure that all surfaces are are evenly coated. 
>Broil for five minutes. Take out, flip, stir veggies.  Continue broiling and flipping every 5 minutes. They will eventually have a charred look - that's a GOOD sign!  
>Be aware that some veggies will be cooked faster than others (e.g., peppers much faster than onions).  That being said, depending on how you crunchy or soft you like them, it should be ready in approx 20-25 minutes.
>After they are done, place on top of bed of brown rice, top with sea salt. Maybe some asparagus fries on the side (day 2)!   On a normal day, I would make a dip to go with it (this following recipe is REALLY amazing for after our 8 days: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-kebabs-with-creamy-pesto-10000002011004/)


For dinner, let's try another yummy soup, experimenting with leek.
Here's the springboard, with some basic alterations needed:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/low-carb-cauliflower-leek-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=low%20carb%20leek&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20List
>Substitute the olive oil for grapeseed oil or coconut oil (remember, EVOO is only at low heat or for salads). Technically, you don't really need the butter (and for those on the program, you cannot use it during the program), but if you decide to use it, do ORGANIC for any dairy (or unless it's from a local farm). I wouldn't had the heavy cream either. 
>Okay, the only other major recommendation I have is to make a rotisserie chicken yourself (check the package -- a good one will outright state "no additives/preservatives" and "no hormones added") -- in other words, you are making the broth yourself!  BROTH is a DANGEROUS item on the shelves.  You have to be really careful between all the preservatives/additives (lots of MSG) and the extreme amounts of salt.  Geez.  If you buy one, triple check the list of ingredients , organic broth is preferable.  The pro to making a rotisserie chicken is that after the 8 days (3 more days) you will totally have some chicken waiting for you.  Another easy meal. Yum-yum.
>Other than those suggestions, I would follow the recipe & enjoy! If you are feeling brave, add in another 1-2 veggies to mix up the taste. :)


Say What? My grandmother was diagnosed with late life diabetes, and I have a few friends who have also suffered from this disease.  I openly confess that I struggle with sugar, but I also want to do everything in my power to have my diet help prevent diabetes in the future.  So today, let's talk about my personal weakness: SUGAR.  The following excerpt is taken from Dr. Axe's cooking book (one of my favorites):
"Refined sugar is lethal when ingested by humans. Think I'm exaggerating? I wish I were. Sugar is not only devoid of any and all nutrients, it's actually worse than "empty" -- sugar is an anti-nutrient that drains and leaches the body of precious vitamins and minerals through the demand that sugar's digestion, detoxification, and elimination makes upon your entire system. Excess sugar affects every organ in the body."
I'm thinking, "DANG IT!!"  Why does it taste so good?  However, the good news for me (and maybe you) is that there are alternatives to getting that sugar kick, my favorites being raw honey and maple syrup.  Dates, another fruit, are surprisingly sweet as well (many recipes that normally call for sugar could be replaced with a handful of dates, depending on the recipe). So chocolate is okay once in a great while (and even then it must be in moderation), but when you need that daily sugar kick, reach for the honey/maple syrup -- instead of the fruit-roll ups, jelly beans, cookies, cupcakes or the other million desserts available here in the USA.  Give it a try; you might be surprised.


When I'm off the program, I plan on making this sugar treat and sharing! Weird ingredients, I know, but I can personally testify that you will be making those happy food noises. 
http://www.draxe.com/recipe/chocolate-mousse/

No comments:

Post a Comment