Sunday, October 14, 2012

Uncountable.

Honestly, each day is filled with uncountable adventures, and it's such a challenge to have to choose between blogging or grading the English essays instead.  Today, however, I am being a rebel.  The essays can just take a back seat.

Yesterday, I was walking back to my house from running an errand, and I saw a 75-year old gringo walking towards me.  Now, this is not unusual per se.  There are many retired gringos (Americans) living here in Cuenca, but this one was unique... On the top of his head, he was fashioning a baseball hat, and not just any baseball team mind you. The mortal enemies of the St. Louis Cardinals: the cloddish Chicago Cubs.  I had every urge to "booo" at him whenever he approached closer, but I decided to demonstrate my classier, more refined side.  How funny that out of all the teams and out of all the places, there would be a Cubs fan right here in Cuenca. [Side note: personally, I think the government should establish a law banning all Cubs fans from traveling outside of United States borders.]  *smile*

May I just say that every bathroom up until now has been very clean and fully stocked with toilet paper? Congrats Cuenca, Ecuador. Congrats.

Americans are trusted here.  I never would want to abuse that.  Let me offer an example... All Latin American countries I have been to have the same system of walking into stores with large bags or backpacks: you must first check them in at a desk and/or a locker (mainly for safety reasons). This past week I went to a local grocery store, Tía, with my colossal backpack.  Needless to say, I was trying to remain patient as I attempted to stuff my backpack into the itsy-bitsy locker. The guard asked me, ¿Eres Americana? (Are you American?)  I responded that yes I was.  He then proceeded to tell me to go ahead and take my backpack into the store, no problems.  Americans are treated like royalty.  I want to continue to live up to that. (Slightly interesting though that it's almost reverse preference for my nationality, make sense?).

I am amazed at the generosity of some people.  It makes me re-examine my own life and my own heart.  I had a really hard day today -- woke up with a throbbing headache, shaking and just aching all over my body.  The family that I just started tutoring in Spanish called me this morning, and finally ended up inviting me over to their home so they could look after me, at least for the next 24 hours.  Whenever you don't feel well, the warmth of a family is all it takes sometimes to nurse someone back to health -- not necessarily the strong medications.  In addition to having me in their home, we also just devoured a delicious, homemade chicken soup filled with fresh vegetables.  I cannot thank the Lord enough for His provision and the generosity of this family.  I truly am a blessed girl.  I fully acknowledge this.

I am hoping and praying that these little beasts will just disintegrate into thin air over the next few days, but if not, I am still enjoying Ecuador, and it is precisely where I am supposed to be. I would not change that for the world. I am so grateful to be in South America again.  En serio po.

No comments:

Post a Comment